Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Perfect Storm, not the movie

I know it's been a while since I posted.  I've been busy and honestly, nothing has struck me as needing my opinion.

Even today, I don't seem to be conflicted about anything.  I'm concerned though.

Tropical Storm Sandy is headed our way.  Last week I heard about this "depression" and honestly, never gave it another thought.  Then earlier this week, the news started reporting things about the hurricane that might be headed up the coast.  And then, suddenly (to me anyhow) we're battening down the hatches and preparing for what could be the worst storm to hit this part of our state ever.

It seems that the now tropical storm is tracking by DC and headed straight to Central PA where I live.  But what complicates it is that there's another storm west of us that's headed this way, and this one has a cold front.  As I understand it, people south west of us will get snow and we'll get more rain.

The "perfect storm", or Frankenstorm as some are calling it, is due to arrive later today.  Since my husband's surgery, he's been very limited in what he can do so I've been doing nearly everything.  So yesterday, I got everything out from under the tent that I could move, boxed up the decorative things and moved it all to the basement.  I put chairs on the side porch and then took down the mosquito netting and bagged it up.  What concerned me though, was the canvas tent.

I've had offers from friends to come help with that next weekend, but we decided it needed done today and it's something I couldn't do.  So we called my brother, who was able to come and help out and it's all done.  The backyard is as ready as we can get it for the impending storm.

I went out earlier to get a few things that I didn't have time for yesterday-some bottled water, batteries and gas for my car in case I have to charge my cellphone.  I found water at one store out of three (even Wal-Mart was out!!) and when I took mine, there were about 20 cases left.  Not very much.  I never found D batteries so if our electricity goes out, the little lantern will be done when the batteries go.  I also have a nice oil lantern and we have a battery radio.  Lots of water, a gas grill and a wood stove.  We're good to go!

So today my opinion is this-if a storm is coming, pay more attention and start getting ready sooner. And if you're prepared, nothing serious will happen!!

Stay safe, everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment